Brother HL-2240 Toner Replacement
This guide is written for the HL-2240 printer, however it also applies to HL-2220, HL-2230, HL-2240D, HL-2270DW, HL-2280DW, MFC-7360N, MFC-7460DN, MFC-7860DW.
To order the correct replacement toner cartridge for these printers, please refer to the following page: TN450.
The original toner that came included with the printer is most likely a starter cartridge and would not last for a long time. When the toner starts running out, the TONER led indicator light will flash continuously. A new cartridge will reset this light.
Before Beginning: Check to make sure that the printer is powered up during the entire process. Changing the cartridge with the printer powered off will not reset correctly. In the event that your printer does not accept the cartridge, please contact our customer service and we will gladly guide you through it.
Replacing the Toner:
- Make sure the machine is powered on. Leave the machine on for at least 10 minutes to cool down.
- Open the front cover.
- Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly by pulling on the handle in the middle of the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- Push down the green lock lever on the left side of the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly and then lift the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the toner cartridge level with both hands and gently shake it from side to side several times to spread the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Pull off the protective cover.
- Put the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put it in properly, the green lock lever will lift automatically.
- Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right several times. Return the tab to the home position, otherwise, printed pages may have a vertical line.
- Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back into the machine. Close the front cover.