Recently, Epson has released a new software/firmware update that prevents you from using compatible ink cartridges. The following Compatible Ink cartridges will no longer work with your Epson printers if you update your printer software/firmware.
T202XL T288XL T410XL T702XL T802XL
The printers will most likely ask you to update the software and, if you would like to keep using compatible ink cartridges, do not have it updated.
You can disable any future printer updates by following these steps:
- Right click the icon of the Epson printer in the Windows Taskbar
- From the list of selections, make sure to select “Software Update Settings / Auto Update Settings”
- Under the Firmware Update, select the option “Never” and then select “OK”
If your printers use with T288XL/T410XL series cartridges and are already upgraded to the latest firmware, the compatible ink cartridges wouldn’t work. You can use the following steps to restore the printer to the previous firmware version in order to keep using the compatible ink.
- Remove all of the ink cartridges from your printer. This will ensure that all cartridge-related errors will be reset after applying the alternate firmware.
- Power the printer OFF
- Make sure that your printer is connected to the computer via USB cable.
- Launch the firmware update screen. Depending on the printer, follow these steps to do so:
- For printers XP-330/430/434: while the Printer is off, press and hold the power, home, left arrow and cancel buttons at the same time until you get the menu displayed. The menu will have white text and black background.
- For printers XP-340/440/640: while the Printer is off, press and hold the power, down arrow, left arrow and cancel buttons at the same time until you get the menu displayed. The menu will have white text and black background.
- Download the older firmware onto the connected laptop or computer. We have included a table below containing older firmware for the most common printer models.
- After launching the downloaded software, step through the wizard by following these on-screen instructions:
- Click Next
- Agree to the terms and click next
- Click Next
- Select the box with your printel model number. You will get a pop-up message asking if you wanted to overwrite it, select “yes”.
PLEASE DO NOT POWER OFF OR DISCONNECT YOUR PRINTER AT THIS POINT, YOU RISK DAMAGING YOUR PRINTER IF YOU DO SO.
- Click Start
- Check your printer’s screen and wait until it displays the word “Finished” on it and, when it does, click finish in the installer.
- After the installation has been finished, uplug the printer’s power cord and plug it back in.
- You can now turn on your printer with the old firmware installed on it.
Here is the table containing the firmware.